Plenty of SEO news this week as our very own SEO know-it-all, Kylie, highlights below. Plus, our paid media go-to guy, Tom, talks about the latest updates to Shopify that could help scale your marketing strategies on the platform.
A new study by Ahrefs has found that Google Search Console hides the keyword term for nearly half of all clicks. Patrick Stox, Brand Ambassador at Ahrefs, conducted the research and has even produced a Data Studio report that you can use to find your missing click data.
During an online session at SEODay2022, John Mueller spoke about the impact of page experience on search ranking and upcoming changes to how Google scores sites. Here’s what we know so far:
- Desktop search results on a site’s desktop experience and mobile search on the mobile experience.
- There is a new page experience metric, ‘Interactivity to next page’ (INP).
- There is now a WordPress plugin to facilitate web stories, a collection of pages that often have videos
- ‘Title links’ are now being used to refer only to the title of a search result.
- There are new robots for meta tags, “indexifembedded.” This allows users to leverage the meta tag when embedding content on the main page.
As part of its Summer 22’ Edition, Shopify has added more than 100 new features. Named, Connect-to-Consumer (C2C), the update aims to help businesses find customers to scale their offerings. Some of the more notable updates also include:
- B2B: connecting merchants to wholesalers
- Tokengated commerce: links crypto wallets to online stores to allow merchants to create commerce experiences gated by tokens.
- Twitter sales channel: the ability to highlight products directly on your Twitter profile.
- Tap-to-pay on iPhone: merchants can now sell offline with no extra hardware or investment.
- Local inventory sync: allows merchants to notify customers when a product is available in-store.
- Shopify Functions: this allows developers to create their own backend code without having to handle their hosting and security.
- Dovetail: this allows Shopify merchants to find and connect with influencers and affiliate marketers.
During its first-ever company event at the 2022 Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity, TikTok officials shared their vision for the future of the platform. Some of the key takeaways include:
- Adding new tools, such as contextual targeting, to reach its goal of engaging millions of advertisers.
- Implementing more quality controls to combat brand safety issues.
- Improving its live shopping functionality so that brands can capitalise on viral trends.
The announcement, made via Mark Zuckerberg’s Instagram Story, revealed that the platform will be testing a full-screen redesign on its main feed. The new look strongly resembles TikTok’s FYP (for your page). However, Zuckerberg later took to the platform again to confirm that Instagram is still very much a photo-sharing platform and isn’t turning to focus on video. So, it will be interesting to see how this is received and how the update may change the experience of the platform.
Looking to improve your SEO and paid media strategies with insider knowledge and experience like this? Drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org to find out how we can work together.